Confidence and the Cause-Effect Loop

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

From Lean In to inspirational messages, the answer to much of inequality seems to be the responsibility of the person on the losing end of the equation. Fair enough, you might say, that person stands to gain the  most. Let me offer up another angle.

I was born a confident person. I’m not sure how or why, but from a young age, I didn’t have much humility. My parents, concerned about the reaction to the amount of space I enjoyed taking up, urged me to balance my confidence with some humble pie. Admittedly, I needed that lesson. I saw gatherings of people – no matter what the occasion – as my opportunity to direct attention to my latest talent or idea. What I thought was cute at the time most likely came across as obnoxious after a while. And though some may still accuse me of being an attention hog, I am aware of my boundaries and try my best to leave room for others.

As obnoxious as it can be, confidence has gotten me far in life. My privilege, above everything else (I have other privileges, of course), is confidence.

I should also note that confidence is NOT the same as arrogance. Confidence doesn’t compete or dismiss others. Confidence is open to push-back and other ideas (in fact, confident people love it). Confidence has room for empathy. Confidence doesn’t know everything. True confidence IS humble.

Confidence gives you an edge over others in most situations. You get the job. You win the contract. People are drawn to you. They want to join your cause, invite you out, promote you, help you and trust you. But the tricky thing about confidence is that, when you need it the most, it fails.

I was born confident, yes, but that doesn’t mean I’m unflappable. After my startup ran out of money, I lost my confidence. I know it was obvious. I must have oozed insecurity because people treated me different. I was passed up for contracts and jobs, people stopped reaching out to me, they gave me pep talks instead of wanting to really help me, introductions stopped…nobody had faith in me. It was like a spiral. As I lost faith in myself, others lost faith in me, which led to me losing even more faith in myself.

Until one person who I barely knew said, “I have confidence in you.” And that was the beginning of my restoration.

I know that the self-help movement means well. The gurus that are trying to teach motivation and confidence to their readers understand that motivation and confidence are key drivers to success. But what is missing is that success is ALSO a key driver to motivation and confidence. There have actually been studies that show that the more successful a person is, the more confident they become. It’s a bit of a vicious circle.

And yes, there are people who can ‘fake it till they make it’ but I think they have help along the way (and, like me, are born with a certain level of confidence).

So, if messages of affirmation and kicking yourself in the butt aren’t the whole answer, what is?

Sponsorship.

Having someone take a leap of faith when your confidence is shaken goes a long way. Some people are going to need more time and patience than others – especially if they haven’t tested their skills before. When you see a spark hidden behind a heap of self-doubt or bad experiences, encourage it to ignite.

Don’t say, “Believe in yourself,” say “I believe in you.”

Don’t say, “Lean in,” say, “I will help you with that presentation” (after putting her in charge of the pitch).

Don’t say, “Your success is up to you,” say “I think you have what it takes to be successful” and then offer your guidance.

The whole sink or swim mentality isn’t just giving naturally confident and privileged types an unfair advantage, it’s also passing over some incredible talent. I’m convinced that the more people with privilege that put confidence in those who lack their own, the better our world will be. Arrogance is a zero-sum game, but confidence is not.

Categories: community, entrepreneurship, featured, personal

6 Comments on “Confidence and the Cause-Effect Loop”

1. January 20, 2014 at 08:48 #

Excellent excellent. Thank you

Betsy Wills 615-944-0988

2. January 20, 2014 at 09:07 #

Such. a. good. post.

In the last few months, I have been pondering about the importance of a feeling of security.

Having been the sole source of income for my family the last 6-7 years, and having been both in an entrepreneurs shoes, an employee, a student, and now something in between an entrepreneur and an employee… I have seen how confidence is strongly linked to a sense everything-to-lose vs everything-to-win feeling.

When the bank account tells you that buying anything else except pasta to eat for the next week (or month), and the rent is late… it’s sort of difficult to be innovative and confident. At that point, all efforts go to getting any little money, from any possible source.

That place is a place where humble is not the word describing the state, it’s feels a lot more like humiliation when asking clients to pay in advance for projects, negotiating more time to pay bills and feeding the kids pasta when they already are so fed up with eating pasta once again.

Clients and employers often think that putting a sense of urgency into people is the only way to make them work harder. In the same way that governments are against unconditional basic income. However, just like the Canadian Mincome project showed, people are not driven to laziness and abusing the system by giving them security… they actually thrive in just about every area imaginable and make sensible choices.

The same goes for confidence. People with confidence are often driven by the pure motivation to get to see their ideas see the day, and just need the confidence of others to thrive.

People around me that share the same confident mentality, a curious view of the world, and a will to make a difference, are almost without exception driven by other factors than money… they just need enough of it to not be an issue.

So when studies show that the more successful a person is, the more confident they become, I would dare to claim that the biggest reason is that they can afford to take the “everthing-to-win” approach to almost any negotiation and big decision.

People that study negotitation skills, often point to that factor being decisive.

What they often forget to mention, is that it’s easy to be confident when failing is not likely to have severe consequences. -> More success -> more security -> more confident -> more success.

• January 20, 2014 at 15:33 #

“Confidence is often nurtured by the feeling the security. When you feel that you don’t need to worry, being confident is easy and results are great.”

Exactly!

3. January 20, 2014 at 10:02 #

Great post. Thank you for sharing.

4. January 22, 2014 at 06:18 #

Tara, thank you so much for sharing about the time that you lost confidence and how it felt. People too often love to give pep talks and forget that it’s hard to gain or maintain confidence if people don’t meet you at least half-way in ways both big and seemingly small.

5. January 29, 2014 at 22:37 #

Exactly: “Don’t say, “Believe in yourself,” say “I believe in you.”