Okay…so this isn’t groundbreaking. LOTS of people do this and have been doing this since 2006.
But I’ve avoided it like the plague. Why? Well, here are all of my lame excuses I’ve had over the years:
- I’m a writer – that is my better medium.
- I don’t want to have to fix my hair and makeup in order to get my thoughts out into the world.
- It’s too much work to shoot a video and edit it.
- I don’t have a good enough concept.
- I don’t have a set.
- I don’t have the right camera.
- I don’t have good lighting.
- I don’t know how to use Final Cut Pro (though I’m pretty decent at iMovie).
- I don’t have a good microphone.
- I’m getting too old.
- I blather on when I get in front of a camera.
- I hate my nasal-y voice.
- I’m too expressive.
- I’m too nervous.
- I can’t afford to hire a graphic designer to do a nice intro/outro.
- I’m good in front of an audience because I have feedback, but sitting in front of a camera? Ugh.
- blah blah blah blah blah
And so on and so forth. Sure, I could have worked to put all of those things in place, but I didn’t. I just waited for 7 years and did nothing.
But last weekend, I watched one of my favourite YouTubers, Hanna Hart, tell her story (My Drunk Kitchen!!) and she loves to use iMovie and just used her laptop and her wit to completely take over the world. Sure, she had a concept, but it wasn’t meant to be this big thing. It was just fun.
Mine may or may not evolve into a concept. I also love what Grace Helbig is doing with DailyGrace. And I love how Chris Pirillo vlogs his life and his advice. But it’ll have to evolve to be what it’ll be and what I can be. Am I aiming for HUGE popularity? No. Obviously! I’m aiming to learn and grow. Video is my final frontier. :)
So…please follow along HERE and let me know what you’d like to hear and help me evolve it. I hope to be un-boring! :)