Citizen Space is Expanding!

Citizen Space Chandelier

Equally exciting to me is this second announcement. Yep. We are expanding Citizen Space thanks to an awesome series of fortunate events:

1. Elisabeth Norris – I hired Elisabeth back in November, I think it was, to be my personal assistant. She has demonstrated that she is so amazing and capable that I decided to hire her full-time to become the General Manager of Citizen Space. Say hi. She rocks.
  2. EqualityCamp – On January 3, we had EqualityCamp, which got bigger than we expected, so we had to move to a bigger space. I placed a phonecall to my landlord and he donated a space on the 1st floor to us that I totally fell in love with.
  3. David Hall – Awesomest landlord ever. Hands down.
  4. The overall success of Citizen Space – We’ve been full since month 3, I believe, and have been turning people away for years. We are adding 12 desks (for a total of 20), so we should be able to accommodate everyone now!

The details of the space:

- we are moving downstairs in the same building. We’ll still be at 425 – 2nd Street, but in suite 100 instead of 300 (in the loading dock – used to be a gym).
– the new space is 3500 ft2 (plus a sizeable loft) – 2000+ additional square feet to what we currently have.
– we’re building in a fully loaded kitchen to the space.
– there are two bathrooms in the space.
– there is one large boardroom that we will eventually turn into 2 (convertible to one large one)
– there is more common space
– instead of having a 40 person limit to events, we will have a 100 person limit
– rents stay the same as advertised

We’ll be doing the grande unveiling March 1st, but people that want to see the new space who are interested in a desk when we open can ping either Elisabeth or myself and arrange a tour for closer to the end of February. We’ll be posting photos along the way, tweeting and blogging the transformation, too!

This is super exciting to me and I hope to have my new team working out of the space from time to time! :)

Tags: ,

Categories: community, coworking

28 Comments on “Citizen Space is Expanding!”

1. January 22, 2009 at 13:22 #

This is super amazing for Citizen Space and even more exciting for the world-wide coworking movement. Congratulations on one of two gigantic announcements today!

2. January 22, 2009 at 13:29 #

Citizen Space is already incredible – I’m really looking forward to checking out the New Digs real soon!

Hugs,
    -E

3. January 22, 2009 at 13:32 #

Excellent news–can’t wait to see the new space!

4. January 22, 2009 at 13:33 #

Congrats Tara & Citizen Space! Me and the boys from Auckland may take a fancy to a desk. I should drop by and take a look!

5. January 22, 2009 at 13:34 #

(and yes, I really mangled that sentence….excited!)

6. January 22, 2009 at 13:34 #

Hi Tara,

This is huge and you deserve it! I knew when I saw the pictures what was coming. Congratulations!

-Erica

7. January 22, 2009 at 13:36 #

congrats!

8. January 22, 2009 at 13:37 #

Tara,

This is great to hear, so congratulations from Dublin!

I look forward to seeing some pics ;-)

Eamon.

9. January 22, 2009 at 13:40 #

This is super amazing! Everyone I come to the current office I’m suprised you don’t have more permanent residents, but the new space sounds great! It is also super cool you found a space in your current building. Happy for you Tara! Look for a blog post from me soon…

10. January 22, 2009 at 13:43 #

Congrats! Having visited recently, it’s going to be an awesome place to hang out, or even work ;)

11. January 22, 2009 at 13:45 #

complimenti tara, bravissimo citizen space!
    ciao from milano
    massimo

12. January 22, 2009 at 13:51 #

Fabulous news. Looking forward to seeing the new space!

13. January 22, 2009 at 13:55 #

Congratulations Tara! That’s fantastic news.

I havn’t dropped by CitizenSpace in awhile. Maybe I’ll drop by once you guys are settled in past March.

Cheers!

14. January 22, 2009 at 14:22 #

Congratulations! Great to see Citizen Space is doing well!

15. January 22, 2009 at 14:40 #

Holy Horse Pig Cow! This is awesome. Congrats to Tara and to everyone involved in Citizen Space.

Now I have even more reason to come and hang out and do some work with (even more) interesting people!

I’ll be there tonight for the WordPress meetup – w00t!

16. January 22, 2009 at 14:45 #

Wonderful news, Tara. I saw you casting covetous looks at the space during #eqcampsf09.

–Ax

17. January 22, 2009 at 16:20 #

Thats great Tara! Congrats! We are in the early launch phase of opening up CoHabitat in Dallas and the response has been overwhelming. Please continue to share whats working @ CS.

Dave

18. Seema Maloni
    January 22, 2009 at 16:21 #

So exciting! I have only been a resident in the space for about 2 weeks and love it- can’t wait to see it & move in! :)

19. January 22, 2009 at 16:22 #

Awesome news Tara! I’ve wondered about that gym every time I’ve walked down 2nd. Happy to hear your landlord made that space available to Citizen Space. That’s some real elbow room.

Your expansion is a real inspiration as our Dallas space, CoHabitat, gets rolling.

20. January 22, 2009 at 18:27 #

Tara,

Expansion is well deserved for the citizens in your space.

Does co-working taking over a gym membership mean people would rather work than work-out?

Will the previous tenant be able to leave some equipment so Citizen Space can be have a gym as well?

Congratulations! I’ll drop by to see it soon.

21. January 23, 2009 at 09:12 #

Great news. Congratulations.
    Mark

22. January 23, 2009 at 11:20 #

Wow – congratulations Tara & the crew at CS from the folks at Office Noamds! So excited to hear about how the move goes and to see photos when all is up & running!

23. January 23, 2009 at 16:27 #

that is very exciting news. congratulations ! :)

24. January 23, 2009 at 16:37 #

Tara this is so exciting! Having been welcomed with open arms to Citizen Space, I’m sure you’ll have lots of love to share in all of that space. ROCK ON!

25. January 26, 2009 at 09:21 #

Tara,

Congratulations! Thank you for being such an inspiring and dedicated member of the community. I look forward to visiting when I’m next in SF. July, methinks.

Julie

26. January 27, 2009 at 09:06 #

Hi Tara and Elisabeth, Congradulations on the expansion! Please consider my request to join the space at the Citizen Light level. :) I can’t wait to see the new space.

27. February 2, 2009 at 17:01 #

You mean I don’t have to hit up my friends for wi-fi when I’m in town from the peninsula with huge gaps btwn mtg. time? Yay! Congrats on a brilliantly green, collaborative & creative expansion. Count on me to always leave coffee or food when popping by! –Amy http://www.ShapingYouth.org

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Changes and expansion at Citizen Space | Citizen Space - January 27, 2009

[...] blogged about some exciting changes underway at Citizen Space, most notably a move from the 1500 ft2 space on the third floor to a 3500 [...]